Welcome Adult Students.

As a new adult student, you’re among friends.
Get started today.

1. Not ready to register yet?
If you still have some unanswered questions about choosing Highland Community College, complete our request information form, contact us at admissions@highland.edu, Email our faculty, call us at (815) 599-3612 or take a campus tour.

2. Apply for admission
The first thing you need to do is apply for admission. We have no application fee! There are lots of ways to apply:

  • Apply online
  • Pick up an application in your guidance office
  • Download an application form and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records
    by fax 815-235-6130
    or by mail to:
    Office of Admissions and Records
    2998 West Pearl City Road
    Freeport, IL 61032
  • Request an application form by calling 815-599-3612 or at admissions@highland.edu.

3. Apply for financial aid and scholarships

  • Depending on your timing, this step may take place along with #4 and #5.
  • Most scholarships are due in April. You can download scholarship forms on our web site. Some scholarships are exclusively for adult students.
  • We encourage you to file to the FASFA (Federal Application for Student Financial Aid) form as early as possible. If you need help, contact our Financial Aid office at (815) 599-3519. You can complete the FAFSA form online.

4. Request a Transcript
If you are a first-time, full-time student, you will need to have your final high school transcript or GED certification sent to the Office of Admissions and Records.

5. Take a placement test
The next step is to take a placement test. Testing is provided on campus for all applicants. Click on our placement testing schedule for more information. You may also download a sample placement test to prepare for the test.

6. See an advisor
Our professional advising staff will help you create the right schedule of classes that will coordinate with your work or family commitments. Our placement test is intended to help you enroll in classes that aren’t too easy or too difficult for you. Your advisor will help you interpret the results. Make an appointment with an advisor by calling (815) 599-3573 or Email advising@highland.edu. See our Ask an Advisor chat for FAQs.

7. Register for classes
Starting with the summer 2004 semester, students will be able to register online. If you are a first time student, you’ll need to follow steps 1 – 3 in order to get your personal identification number (PIN) that will make online registration possible. See online registration instructions on our web site. Of course, you can always register in the Office of Admissions and Records.