International Students

International students appreciate the friendly, helpful atmosphere at HCC.

Take advantage of our help by contacting the International student advisor.

1. Apply for admission
You will need to submit the Highland Application for Admission/International Students. You may download an International application form on our web site.

Submit the application to the Office of Admissions and Records by fax 815-235-6130 or by mail to: Office of Admissions and Records, 2998 West Pearl City Road, Freeport, IL 61032 USA. You may also request an application form by sending an Email to

2. Submit a TOEFL
You will need to send a current, official TOEFL Examinee’s Score Record showing a “total score” of 500 or higher paper-based or 173 computer-based exam or 61 IBT (Internet-Based Score on a TOEFL exam or equivalent).

3. Submit Transcripts
You must submit official, secondary-school transcripts, preferably in English to the Office of Admissions and Records at 2998 West Pearl City Road, Freeport, IL 61032, USA.

4. Obtain a Student Visa
Take your passport and a completed 1-20-AB form provided by Highland Community College to the nearest American Consulate to obtain a student Visa. This step will be completed after you have met all of the admissions requirements.

5. Apply for Scholarships
Some International students may qualify for a scholarship. You will need to inquire with the International student advisor for more information.

6. Work with an advisor
Highland has a designated advisor for International students. We recommend that you stay in touch with the advisor during the admissions process.

7. Register for classes
Starting with the spring 2004 semester, students will be able to register online. If you are a first time student at Highland, you’ll need to follow steps 1 – 6 in order to get your personal identification number (PIN) that will allow you to register online. See online registration instructions on our web site. Of course, you can always register through the International student advisor.