HCC Advisors

Professional Advising Staff

Highland advisors are helpful professionals that are a key resource whether you are transferring to a four-year institution or completing a vocational degree or certificate.

A Highland advisor is the friend you need when it comes to any

of the following: developing an educational plan, choosing a field of study, exploring transfer schools, scheduling classes for the next semester, checking the completion status of a degree or certificate, finding campus and community resources, understanding academic policies and procedures and discussing other academic concerns.

Student Advisors are located on the first floor of the Student/ Conference Center; Building H. Services are available by appointment during regular business hours and evenings, and during published walk-in times.

For an appointment, call 815-599-3573 or email us. Veterans and current military personnel may receive specialized assistance from the Veterans Coordinator who is also a Student Advisor.

Meet our Advisors

How do I know who my advisor is? At Highland Community College, you are assigned an advisor based on your major.

Thedford Jackson works with students majoring in automotive mechanics, auto body repair, accounting, business, cosmetology, nail technology, engineering, wind turbine technology and industrial manufacturing technology.

Heather Moore works with students majoring in the nursing and allied health sciences, pre-medicine, humanities, and fine arts.

Karissa Patefield works with students majoring in life and physical sciences, social sciences, and mathematics. If you are still exploring your major, your advisor is either

Vicki Schulz works with students majoring in education, agriculture, computer science, and criminal justice.


Ask an Advisor

Use our Ask an Advisor page to find a list of frequently asked questions or submit your individual question here

After 5 Advising

Click here if you need to make an appointment to meet with an advisor after 5 p.m.

Transfer Information

Visit our transfer information page to get details on transferring to a four-year institution.