join us JOIN US
Like us on Facebook
to view the latest HCC
photos and updates
   
follow us FOLLOW US
Admissions news, events
and sports are just a
click away.

NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

Highland Trustees Consider Tuition Increase
1/21/2010

FREEPORT The Highland Community College Board of Trustees considered a recommendation to increase Highland Community College tuition by $10.00 per credit hour at their regular monthly meeting on Tuesday, January 19. This was the first of two required readings that could make the change effective for fall 2010.

Highlands Trustees have historically kept tuition and fees at or near the Illinois state average. If the proposed increase is approved, Highlands tuition rate will be $94 per credit hour. Highland officials are estimating that the proposed 2010-11 tuition rate will be within the state average based on information gathered from other institutions.

Early estimates indicate that the state average will be approximately $92.00 per credit hour, according to Vice President of Administrative Services Jill Janssen. However, there are a good number of Illinois community colleges that have yet to report proposed rate increases for next fiscal year.

Community colleges were founded on a funding model of 33% state support, 33% local tax support, and 33% tuition. As state funding continues to decline, the College must rely more heavily on local taxes and tuition. Currently, state support makes up 15% of the Colleges revenue while local tax support, student tuition and other sources (federal grants, Foundation support) make up the remaining 85%.

Highland President Joe Kanosky says that the Trustees, administration and Illinois Community College Board continue to bring this funding trend to the attention of state legislators and that the community also needs to understand the funding situation. We are deeply concerned about the state funding trend, and we understand that the burden is placed more heavily on tax and tuition support. We think it is important that we share this information with our communities, said Kanosky.

_________________________
OFFICE OF COMMUNITY RELATIONS
2998 W. Pearl City Road
Freeport, IL 61032-9341

815-235-6121
Fax 815-235-6130



© 2014 Highland Community College   Home  |  Contact  |  Search  |  Classes
Support Our Troops Facebook Twitter