Career Services — Frequently Asked Questions
For what services do I need to set up an appointment?
In order to best meet your needs as a unique individual, the following services require an appointment:
• Employment and career counseling
• Assessment tools for deciding education/career path (Myers-Briggs and Strong Interest Survey)
• Connections for job shadows and informational interviews
• Assistance with resume and cover letter development/critiquing Click here for regularly held lab dates/times.
• Interview preparation Click here for regularly held lab dates/times.
No appointment is necessary for utilizing the following services:
• Job leads: Simply go to College Central Network, our official resume and job posting service, create your account as a student, alumni, or community resident, and begin searching right away for local and national job openings.
• On-campus employment (for HCC students): See our Student Worker FAQ page for the application process.
How do I set up an appointment?
You may call 815.599.3536 or 815.599.3573, or stop by the office Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Career Services Center is located in the Highland Community College Student Conference Center, room 108 (1st floor of building H). See campus map.
How do I apply to be a student worker on campus?
The Career Services Center coordinates the Student Worker Program on campus, and the first step of the application process is to complete your FAFSA. See our Student Worker FAQ page for the application process.
Do I need to already have a resume created before I come in for advice?
No. You may attend a resume writing lab at any stage of the resume writing process. We will work with you from creation to critiquing. Note: If you need a resume and do not know where to start, please brainstorm for information such as grade point averages, awards won, locations of previous employment, and certificates earned. If you have an outdated resume, bring it anyway. It could be helpful as a memory aid. By bringing as much information as possible to your first meeting, you will be able to walk away from the writing session with much more accomplished. Furthermore, if this is your first time writing a resume, please plan on revisiting your resume 2 – 3 times in order to create a polished document.
Is there a fee for using Career Services?
For most services, there is no fee. For example, resume critiquing, employment counseling, and all employee recruitment services are free of charge. Some fees may apply to physical materials taken out of the center.
How can I find a job through Career Services?
The Career Services Center provides not only the preparatory services to help you succeed as an applicant and interviewee but also the initial connections to help jump-start your job search.
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for?
Call 815.599.3536 or 815.599.3573, or email Career Services.