Skip to Content

Returning Students

As a new adult student, you’re among friends.
Get started today.

  1. Apply for admission
    If you haven’t been a student at HCC in the last three years, you will need to apply for admission. We have no application fee. There are lots of ways to apply:

    • Apply online
    • Pick up an application in your guidance office
    • Download an application form and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records
      by fax 815.235.6130
      or by mail to:
      Office of Admissions and Records
      2998 West Pearl City Road
      Freeport, IL 61032
    • Request an application form by calling 815.599.3612 or at
  2. Apply for financial aid and scholarships
    • Depending on your timing, this step may take place along with #4 and #5.
    • Most scholarships are due in April. You can download scholarship forms on our website. Some scholarships are exclusively for adult students.
    • We encourage you to file with the FASFA (Federal Application for Student Financial Aid) form as early as possible. If you need help, contact our Financial Aid office at 815.599.3519. You can complete the FAFSA form online.
  3. Request a Transcript
    If you have not been enrolled in more than three years, you will need to have your final high school transcript or (HSE) GED certification sent to the Office of Admissions and Records.
  4. Take a placement test
    You may need to take a placement test. If you are enrolling full-time or part-time in a schedule that includes math, English composition or a business course, you will need to take the placement test. Ask an advisor or the dean of enrollment services to be certain. Testing is provided on campus for all applicants. Click on our placement testing schedule for more information. You may also download a sample placement test to prepare for the test.
  5. Transfer college credit
    Our dean of enrollment services will evaluate college credits you’ve earned elsewhere to see if they can be applied to your program at Highland.
  6. See an advisor
    If it has been awhile since you enrolled in college courses, we recommend a visit with our advising staff. Make an appointment with an advisor by calling 815.599.3573 or Email See our Ask an Advisor chat for FAQs.
  7. Register for classes
    Starting with the summer 2004 semester, students will be able to register online. If you are a first-time student, you’ll need to follow steps 1 – 6 in order to get your personal identification number (PIN) that will make online registration possible. See online registration instructions on our website. Of course, you can always register in the Office of Admissions and Records.