FREEPORT — On Friday, February 10, ten Highland Community College Agricultural students participated in the Illinois Postsecondary Agriculture Students (PAS) Annual Conference at Lincoln Land Community College in Springfield, IL.
During the conference, participants competed in a number of agriculture-specific content areas that included general knowledge exams, real-world problem-solving scenarios, goal-setting activities and personal interviews.
Postsecondary Agriculture Students (PAS) is a national student organization that provides opportunities for college agriculture students to experience individual growth, leadership and career preparation through competition and cooperative activities.
Congratulations to following Highland Agriculture students who competed at the annual conference:
- Heidi Smith (Sycamore) — First place in Career Progress-Agribusiness Management & Marketing Systems and also competed in the Agriculture Computers Area
- Rebecca Alexander (Lanark) — First place in the Career Planning-Agriculture Education, third place in the Agriculture Education Teaching Demonstration and participated in the Equine Specialist Area
- Danielle Hinshaw (Byron) — Second place in Career Planning-Ruminant Animal Systems and second place on the Landscape/Nursery Specialist Team
- Drew Groezinger (Stockton) — Second place Landscape/Nursery Specialist Team
- Dairy Specialist Team consisting of Charlie Elliott (Freeport), Nicole Simler (Freeport), Andrea Willing (Rock City), and Stephanie Nadig (Stockton) earned third place.
- Jamie Cullor (Freeport) participated on the Soil Specialist Team and ran for a State PAS officer position.
- Annelis Tapia (Stockton) participated on the Soils Specialist Team and the Agriculture Computers area.
Members competed well in the Agriculture Quiz Bowl winning one match.
The Highland Agriculture Department would like to thank State Bank, Freeport for sponsoring the Highland AG Club and its participation in PAS activities. The funds generously contributed by State Bank, Freeport were used to purchase materials in preparation for competition and to cover expenses to register and travel to the conference. The next PAS activity is the National PAS Convention held March 13-16 in Saint Charles, Missouri. If you have any questions or would like more information about the HCC PAS organization, please contact Justin Ebert, Agriculture instructor at email@example.com or call 815.599.3507.
OFFICE OF COMMUNITY RELATIONS
2998 W. Pearl City Road
Freeport, IL 61032-9341