The Honors Program at Highland Community College is designed to provide eligible students with enhanced educational experiences in select courses chosen in cooperation with College faculty. Participating students will benefit from advanced study and specialized research related to general education courses and/or areas of concentration or specialization.
Highland’s Honors program is unique in that it is available to transfer students as well as those in occupational programs. Typically, honors programs are reserved for students pursuing baccalaureate degrees.
At Highland, we recognize the importance of providing enhanced educational opportunities to all qualified students.
Who is eligible?
To be admitted to the Honors Program, students must be pursuing a degree or certificate and meet one of the following criteria:
- possess an ACT composite score of 25 or greater, or SAT score of 1200 or greater
- have graduated in the top 10 percent of their high school graduating class, or
- have completed 12 or more credit hours of formally articulated, college-level coursework with a 3.5/4.0 grade point average*
* Students must maintain a 3.5/4.0 grade point average to remain eligible for the Honors Program.
- Students have the opportunity to conduct advanced study and specialized research with the guidance of Highland faculty.
- Students will have the opportunity to register for their courses before other students.
- Students who complete the Honors Program will be recognized at the Honors Convocation and Commencement. They will also have a special designation placed on their official transcript.
- Students will have the opportunity to compete for additional transfer scholarships at four-year colleges and universities.
- Students pursuing an occupational degree will benefit from a more extensive investigation of theoretical or technical aspects of their chosen field and will benefit from enhanced appeal to potential employers.
Recent Honors Projects and Stories
To find out more about Highland’s Honors Program, contact program director, Juliet Moderow, at email@example.com or by calling 815.599.3578.