WELCOME TO HIGHLAND
We welcome our communities to take a stroll around our beautiful campus, enjoy the sounds of our many community choirs and musical groups, listen to a guest lecturer, watch an athletic event, and, perhaps, enroll in a class or two. Witness first hand some of the many wonderful things happening at Highland Community College. Highland – an institution of exceptional quality – represents a bright, shining resource for northwest Illinois.
As a community college, our mission is built around meeting the needs of our greater northwest Illinois community through quality educational and cultural programs. We are proud to have served thousands of students at our campus in Freeport and at satellite locations throughout the district.
In addition to offering comprehensive academic programming with over 60 degrees and certificates, Highland is a beacon of cultural opportunity. Our theatre, arts, music, literature and lecture series are popular throughout the area. And our Cougars have a strong record of athletic successes.
Highland Community College is committed to shaping the future of our communities by providing quality education and learning opportunities through programs and services that encourage the personal and professional growth of the people of northwestern Illinois.
This mission is carried out by:
- Providing educational preparation to students for transfer to a baccalaureate or professional, degree-granting institution.
- Providing instruction to enable students to complete specific vocational degrees and certificates and general education designed to meet individual educational goals.
- Providing occupational training, retraining, and/or upgrading of skills to meet individual, local, and state needs.
- Providing developmental education to strengthen students’ academic skills.
- Providing a range of student support services that recognizes and supports the educational goals and needs of a diverse student population.
- Supporting economic development through partnerships with business, industry, chambers of commerce, units of local government, and other educational institutions.
- Providing community education designed to meet local cultural needs and encourage lifelong learning and cultural understanding.
- Providing community access as an open-door institution to all college services and facilities.
Highland Community College partners with learners in successfully shaping their futures.
I actively participate in constructive and representative decision making process and support the outcome.
I listen with an open mind, seek to understand, share honestly and communicate respectfully.
I proudly contribute to the achievement of our goals.
I embrace transformation, big or small.
I trust and collaborate because we are better together.
Principles of Operation
- Grounded in purpose
- Mutual respect
- Sense of humor
- Shared responsibility
- Climate that promotes competence
Highland Community College Strategic Plan 2017-2022
For more information about the College, contact the Office of Community Relations