Skip to Content

Highland students eligible for ag-related grant

Highland students with a background in agriculture or farm experience can receive up to $7,000 a year in grant funding. Through Highland Community College’s partnership with the National Farm Workers Program $100,000 in funding is available to the College. Students studying any degree or certificate type can apply: this is not a grant for only ag students.

“The college is very excited to continue its partnership with UMOS,” said Scott Anderson, Vice President of Business, Technology, and Community Programs. “Having $100,000 of grant revenue for our students to access is very exciting.”

UMOS is a nonprofit advocacy organization that provides programs and services which improve the employment, health, and housing opportunities of underserved populations.

Anderson adds, “What is unique about these funds is a stipend is paid to the student for their time spent in class. I would encourage any student that has worked in an agriculture environment to complete the simple application process.”

The grant is for anyone who has earned the majority of their wages through farm-related work in the past two years. The submitted application is good for two years. Proof of farm income is required through a W-2 or pay stubs with the application.

The grant can pay up to $7,000 a year toward tuition and fees, and cover books, rent, gas, and give a $7.25/hr. training stipend while students are in class. If a student is receiving FAFSA, the grant will still pay the stipend.

Students can apply by going to or speaking to their advisor by calling 815-599-3573.