Diversity at Highland
At Highland Community College, we are grounded in the purpose of mutual respect, ethics, integrity, honesty, and shared responsibility. Our Mission is built around meeting the needs of our greater northwest Illinois community through quality educational and cultural programs. We provide a range of student support services that recognize and meet the educational goals needs of a diverse student population. Our faculty and staff are held accountable on our Core Values of integrity, compassion, and respect.
The mission of the Diversity Committee is to help lead the college community as change makers, highlighting every person’s creative and intellectual value by actively engaging in the charge to create a diverse, inclusive, and culturally competent community.
To work towards this mission, the committee will work towards the following goals:
- Advocate for diverse populations and their needs
- Advocate for college action in response to identified needs regarding equity and inclusivity
- Advocate for the recruitment and development of a more diverse workforce
- Identify and address institutional gaps related to the college climate
- Support inclusive and cross-disciplinary curricula
- Support new and existing programming
- Support new and existing professional development
- Identify and provide resources that support increased awareness and understanding of diversity-related issues
- Collaborate with community partners
- Black Student Alliance
- International Club
- Pride Club
- Women in Science
See also the Campus Calendar for diversity and inclusion campus events.