Highland Community College’s Lifelong Learning October courses include technology courses like Computer Networking Basics and Pics on My Phone, Now What, history courses like Assassination of Lincoln and World War I Overview and creative arts courses like Introduction to Oil Painting and Macrame Wall Hanging.
Computer Networking Basics
Location: Highland Community College, (Building T), room T-140, 2998 W. Pearl City Road, Freeport, Ill.
Registration deadline: Oct. 14
Class: Oct. 21; 1-3 p.m.
Instructor: Jeremy Monigold
Learn how data transfer functions between various sending and receiving devices including the different types of networks, client/server and peer-to-peer networks, types of communication lines, commonly used communications devices, wireless/physical transmission media, and how to configure a home network.
Assassination of Lincoln
Location: Stockton Heritage Museum, 107 W. Front Ave., Stockton, Ill.
Registration deadline: Oct. 19
Class: Oct. 26; 1-2:30 p.m.
Instructor: Mark Peterson
Learn about the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln including the state of affairs in the U.S. in 1865 and brief biographies on Lincoln and his assassin, John Wilkes Booth. Topics include: events leading up to April 14, 1865, the capture of Booth and his accomplices and Lincoln’s funeral procession. Lincoln’s gravesite and Ford’s Theatre are also explored.
Location: Children’s Hands-On Museum, 1233 W. Galena Ave., Freeport Ill.
Registration deadline: Oct. 20
Class: Oct. 27; 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Instructor: Amy Goldberg
Preschoolers and their caregivers will enjoy an hour of fun while eating their lunch with new friends, listening to storybooks and creating a craft project. Learn interactive strategies to engage your preschooler while having fun. Explore the museum on your own when class is over. Adults and children require separate registrations. Bring your lunch and a drink.
Putting Your End of Life Affairs in Order
Location: Highland Community College, (Building H), room H-127, 2998 W. Pearl City Road, Freeport, Ill.
Registration deadline: Oct. 20
Class: Oct. 27; 6-8 p.m.
Instructor: Kerrylyn Rodriguez
If someone had to make sense of your financial matters without your help, would they know what you owned, where you kept your will and insurance policies, or even who you wanted to take care of your pet? Give yourself and your loved ones the gift of organized affairs.
Lifelong Learning’s many additional courses in October include:
• The Art of Zentangle – Old Sandstone Gallery, Mt. Morris
• Smartphone Basics – iPhone, Highland Community College, (Building T) room T-159
• Digital Storage – Highland Community College, (Building T), room T-140, Freeport
• World War I Overview – Galena Public Library, Galena
• Pics on My Phone, Now What? – Highland Community College, (Building T), room T-159, Freeport
• Introduction to Jewelry Making/Beading – Old Sandstone Gallery, Mt. Morris
• Zentangle Inspired Art – Stockton Library, Stockton
• Painting on Wood — The Muse on Cedar Creek, Cedarville
• Macrame Wall Hanging — The Muse on Cedar Creek, Cedarville
• Introduction to Oil Painting — Old Sandstone Gallery, Mt. Morris
View the complete fall Lifelong Learning schedule and register for classes online here. For more information on Lifelong Learning, call 815-599-3403.