Skip to Content

High School Students

More than half of the college-bound students in the Highland district choose to start at HCC. Small classes, personalized attention, and ease of transfer are just some of the reasons. Here’s how you can get started:

Not ready to register yet?

If you still have some unanswered questions about choosing Highland Community College, complete our request information form or contact us at Your guidance counselor or a Highland advisor will be able to talk to you about enrolling in HCC courses or in a dual enrollment program that lets you earn high school and college credit at the same time.

How to Apply for Admission

  1. The first thing you need to do is apply for admission. We have no application fee! There are lots of ways to apply:
    1. Apply online!
    2. Pick up an application in your guidance office.
    3. Download an application form and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records by fax 815-235-6130 or by mail to: Office of Admissions and Records, 2998 West Pearl City Road, Freeport, IL 61032.
    4. Request an application form by calling 815-599-3610 or at
  2. Complete an Authorization to Register for Classes
    Students applying for early admission are required to file an Authorization to Register for Classes Form, signed by a guidance counselor or principal, with the admissions department. Contact your guidance counselor for a copy.
  3. If you are graduating from high school, apply for financial aid and scholarships Most scholarships are due in April. You can search for scholarships in our searchable database on our website and download the application forms. We encourage you to file the FASFA (Federal Application for Student Financial Aid) form as early as possible. If you need help, contact our Financial Aid office at 815-599-3519. You can complete the FAFSA online.
  4. Request a Transcript
    If you are a first-time, full-time student, you will need to have your final high school transcript or GED certification sent to the Office of Admissions and Records. If you are transferring to Highland with college credit from another institution, be sure to request copies of your college transcripts and have them mailed to the Office of Admissions and records at HCC.
  5. Take a placement test or submit ACT or SAT assessment scores
    The next step is to take a placement test or submit the qualifying ACT or SAT scores. Testing is free and provided on campus for all applicants. Click on our placement testing schedule for more information. You may also download a sample placement test or utilize the Accuplacer app to prepare for the test.
  6. See an advisor
    Our professional advising staff will help you enroll in classes that aren’t too easy or too difficult for you. See the advisor during a visit to your high school or make an appointment by calling 815-599-3573 or Email See our Ask an Advisor chat for FAQs.
  7. Register for classes
    You can register in the Office of Admissions and Records, online or by seeing an advisor in your high school. Quick Start is a service we provide that allows you to take care of steps 6, 7 and 8 in one visit. Ask your guidance office is you can sign up for Quick Start.